Tuesday 7 October 2008

Warden wear

Returning home for a new year's extended family tea after my warden debut, my father-in-law asked me where my top hat was. And not in jest. In his United shul the warden does indeed wear a top hat, and with his shul dating from the 1920s (approximately the time of Moses) this particular minhag, in the eyes of my f-in-law at least, may as well be minhag b'shamayim. But dressing up can be fun, and I have been known to don my own fedora-esque "titfer" when going to daven with him on the west side. I wonder, what might the reaction be at my Reform shul if I black-hatted for my wardening duties?

(this short post was inspired by the notes of a fellow finchley warden - see https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9069662855355213268&postID=3868983417494532883)

Addendum:
This morning, when a stranger said "excuse me" on the tube, I assumed it was to ask the destination of the train, the indicator board up to its usual trick of not accurately reflecting the train's itinerary (it is an indicator board, giving an indication of where the train might go, not an information board, showing where the train actually will go). But no.
"Excuse me, but do you know what time the fast comes in tonight?" She asked. How did she know I would know? Is it that obvious that I am a warden? Did my head-attire give it away?

Wishing you all well over the fast.



1 comment:

Judith said...

I QUITE agree, in fact I mention top hats in my posting!